Rationale

Rationale

Political Cartoon Flyer

Rhetorical Situation

Genre

The genre is a political cartoon on the ongoing issue of college athletes not being paid.

Audience

The audience of this political cartoon is going to be college coaches and officials.  The cartoon is a knock on the NCAA and how they run their program.  The players are seen doing all the work while the officials collect the money and benefit from it.  It’s suppose to target current and incoming players who are about the make their decisions on a school as well.  This will cause them to second guess the decision they’re making and maybe change the way they see the NCAA.

Purpose

The purpose of the political cartoon is to show that the real reason the NCAA makes any type of money in the first place is the players.  When the NCAA was first created, no one was paid at all and it was simply for the students benefit.  Now they’re making deals for billions of dollars and the coaches are getting paid millions of dollars.  This is all because of the success of the players.  All the recognition and support they’ve gained has given the NCAA such a profit that the players deserve something out of that.

Where can this be found?

This can be found on a possible protesting poster towards the NCAA that I created.  This can be posted anywhere a NCAA official can see it.  On national television at games, or in division 1 schools.

Stance

My current stance is that I agree with the message that the image is portraying.  I think that even though their tuition is being paid for, that isn’t enough for a full-time student to live off of.  They need money for food, clothes, and anything else that is necessary for a growing athlete.

Rhetorical Situation

Genre

The genre is a brochure for incoming students who are looking to play Division 1 sports.

Audience

The audience of this brochure are the players and their families.  Hopefully in the near future, college players will be paid in some type of way for the many reasons that they deserve to be paid.  When this happens the recruitment processes for the top high school athletes in the world will be a much more interesting sequence.  They will need different sales pitches to wow the players over and this is where the brochure comes in to play.

Purpose

The purpose of this brochure is to persuade the player to come play for my school rather than other.  As the school’s recruiter, it is my job to give the players an offer they and their family cannot refuse.  The brochure includes all the benefits, the amount of money they’ll make, and what the school has to offer that others don’t.  This is one way the schools could get players to their school if the NCAA decided to pay their players.

Where can it be found?

This will be found when a top player is looking for a college to play at.  It will be handed to them at the start of their interview or tour.  You can’t necessarily pick up this brochure anywhere.  The school’s athletic director hands them out to those worthy of an offer to attend the school.

Stance

My stance on this genre is that it is very useful and beneficial to the recruiters at these schools.  Of the colleges were to ever pay their players, I think it would be very helpful.